Starting Monday, Fort Worth ISD is observing the Week of the Young Child 50th anniversary, with a series of events bringing awareness to early childhood education.
Week of the Young Child is an annual celebration sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children that advocates for public attention on the needs of young children, their families and the early childhood programs and services that meet their needs. At a March 22 Board of Education meeting, trustees issued a proclamation declaring April 10-16 Week of the Young Child in the District.
Throughout the week, the district will highlight pre-kindergarten and kindergarten registration, which is currently underway, and host fun, interactive themed activities daily at schools throughout Fort Worth ISD.
All pre-K teachers will receive the book, “The Very Impatient Caterpillar” / “La oruga muy impaciente” by Ross Burach. Pre-K students will go home with the book, “Misunderstood Shark” by Ame Dyckman and a weeklong family activity calendar.
The following daily activities are scheduled to celebrate Week of the Young Child throughout FWISD classrooms, April 12-16. Schools are encouraged to create social media posts of how they’re celebrating the week:
- April 12 is Music Monday
- April 13 is Tasty Tuesday
- April 14 is We Read Wednesdays
- April 15 is Artsy Thursday
- April 16 is Family Friday
Look for the Fort Worth ISD Bookmobile in communities throughout the district during the week. The Family Communications Department is partnering with community centers, apartment complexes and places of worship for pop-up events to promote online Pre-K and kindergarten registration, which began April 1. Families will receive free resources on Fort Worth ISD early childhood programs, books for toddlers and young readers and other community resources at the pop-up events.
The Bookmobile will roll into the following locations during the Week of the Young Child:
- 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday at Family Action Center, 3409 Stalcup Road, 76119
- 2-4 p.m. Wednesday at Waverly Park Elementary School, 3604 Cimmaron Trail, 76116
- 5-6 p.m. Wednesday at Columbia Renaissance Square Apartment, 3801 WG Daniels, 76105
- 2-3 p.m. Thursday at Victory Forest Community Center, 3247 Hemphill St., 76110
- 8-11 a.m. Friday at Como Community Center, 4660 Horne St., 76107