Lake Country Estates residents have been pushing back against a proposed rental home project on Boat Club Road. The developer recently withdrew their application to revise it. (Sandra Sadek | Fort Worth Report)

A controversial zoning case for 270 build-to-rent cottage homes on Boat Club Road in far northwest Fort Worth has been withdrawn from the Aug. 11 zoning commission meeting.

Republic Property Group, the developer behind the project, said the current application will be revised to include a future commercial component after city officials expressed their desire to consider the entire plot of land — residential and commercial — at the same time. It may take several months for a new zoning case to be resubmitted. 

The proposed 51-acre development raised concerns from nearby residents about the additional pressure this project would add to the area’s already-strained infrastructure, as previously reported by the Fort Worth Report.  

Republic Property Group originally planned to submit a second zoning request for the commercial aspect of the project after the build-to-rent units were approved by Fort Worth officials. 

“We believe strongly in the concept plan we have today, which includes significant changes and improvements made over the last few months inclusive of the desire to incorporate the current Fort Worth (Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction) portion of the property to offer commercial opportunity,” Seth Carpenter, vice president of development at Republic Property Group, said in a statement. 

In May, Fort Worth zoning commissioners granted Republic Property Group a 90-day extension to work with residents and find common ground. Residents remain skeptical of the benefit of the project on that acreage even after working with the developer. 

“We will continue to work with the community on comments as the process progresses over the next several months. We appreciate all of the feedback on the project and look forward to continued discussion as the plan moves forward as a new application,” Carpenter said. 

Residents rejoiced after hearing about the temporary halt. Melissa Hobbs, a 39-year-old Realtor who lives in Lake Country Estates, said the pause gives residents the opportunity to continue building their case in opposition to the project. 

The fight is not over yet, Hobbs said. 

Lake Country Estates resident Jennifer Benton, 49, said she is not surprised by the update. Until city officials recognize the need for road and commercial infrastructure in far north Fort Worth,  the residents cannot support this project, she said.  

“Whatever they present, we are still going to fight until the infrastructure is changed,” she said. 

Sandra Sadek is a Report for America corps member, covering growth for the Fort Worth Report. You can contact her at sandra.sadek@fortworthreport.org or on Twitter at @ssadek19

At the Fort Worth Report, news decisions are made independently of our board members and financial supporters. Read more about our editorial independence policy here.

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Avatar photo

Sandra Sadek

Sandra Sadek is a Report for America corps member, covering growth for the Fort Worth Report. Originally from Houston, she graduated from Texas State University where she studied journalism and international...