Fort Worth has lagged behind other major Texas cities in securing major corporate relocations and benefiting from the economic development that usually follows. However, leaders see a path forward: Cultivating a skilled workforce through K-12 schools and higher education. Education reporter Jacob Sanchez examines the issue through a three-part series.
Makenna Barbara wanted to be different when it came to her study abroad experience her senior year of college. Europe? Too cliche — seemingly everyone goes there. She looked south and set her sights on New Zealand. Barbara knew she had tuition covered because of her scholarship at Texas Christian University. Getting to Auckland, the…
Fort Worth has lagged behind other major Texas cities in securing major corporate relocations and benefiting from the economic development that usually follows. However, leaders see a path forward: Cultivating a skilled workforce through K-12 schools and higher education.
Annaya Williams was set on becoming a psychiatrist for children. Then, she stepped in front of a classroom. Now, the Lake Ridge High School graduate will study education at Xavier University…
All it took was some paper and tape to build a roller coaster in the hallway of Westpark Elementary School June 27. Students worked in small groups to fold their paper,…
‘There is an expectation of us to look out for each other,’ new school board member Wallace Bridges says
When Wallace Bridges was growing up in New Orleans, it was common for him and his five siblings to have someone from the neighborhood staying at their house. Typically, they could…
Fort Worth ISD recommends $26 million pay raise package that contributes to proposed budget’s deficit
Fort Worth ISD is considering a $26 million pay raise package and $22 million in retention bonuses for the upcoming school year. The school board is expected to consider approving the…
All the parent-teacher association had to do was start a reading program for Van Zandt-Guinn Elementary. That’s all that mattered for Wallace Bridges, the president and founder of the parent group.…
- Two years after nonprofit takeover, Fort Worth Botanic Garden boasts higher visitor numbers and less city funding
- Tarrant County College’s new approach to degrees could get students from class to careers quicker
- Part 2: 1 out of 5 Irving ISD students graduate with industry credentials. The district could be a peek into Fort Worth ISD’s future.
- ‘We’re stoked’: Dickies Skate Plaza construction gets rolling
- ‘I see the opportunity that they’re reaching for’: Summer program builds students up at Fort Worth Country Day
- Breakthrough Fort Worth gives students a chance to get ahead over the summer.
- Legendary Four Sixes Ranch sold to ‘Yellowstone’ producer Taylor Sheridan
- 'I want it to evoke a sense of wonder': artist Crystal Wagner creates new installation at Fort Works Art (w/video)
- TCC bonds go to class as students examine school’s 2019 program